February 23rd marked the 114th anniversary for Rotary International. In 1905, Rotary founder Paul Harris formed one of the world’s first service organizations, the Rotary Club of Chicago, as a place where professionals with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas and form meaningful, lifelong friendships. Since then, Rotary has continued its commitment to service by providing clean water, improving maternal health, awarding scholarships, fighting diseases, and improving lives around the world.
The Rotary Club of Tryon started 22 years later in September of 1927. The purpose of the club is to provide support to the area through our activities and fundraising.
The Rotary year starts in June, so a little more than half way through the 2018-2019 year the Rotary Club of Tryon has already:
- Inducted two new club members: Beth McCallister & Lennie Rizzo.
- Hosted the 2018 Shrimpfest at Harmon Field in October.
- Provided financial support to Rotary International’s PolioPlus initiative to eradicate Polio.
- Partnered with the Community Chorus for a Christmas concert.
- We will be providing Rotary Youth Leadership Awards to six local high school students so they can attend an intensive leadership academy.
- The club made a significant donation to the Coins for Alzheimer’s Research Trust (CART) to support Alzheimer’s research.
- We will be providing Rotary Foundation Scholarships to help local students fund their education after high school.
- Hosted the first annual Valentine’s Party with the Tryon Kiwanis Club.
- We have almost completed our annual Gourmet Nut fundraiser.
- We will be partnering with the Community Chorus for their Spring concert on April 28, 2019.
- Started a new satellite club at Tryon Estates.
If you are interested in joining a club that fosters Service Above Self, please contact the Rotary Club of Tryon President, Fred Hartley at 423-341-4965 or email@example.com