The Rotary Club of Tryon is excited to award four local students with RYLA scholarships. Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) provide the funding for high-school aged students to attend a week-long camp where they get to embrace adventure, experience outdoor learning, and expand leadership skills. The Camp is sponsored by Rotary District 7670. This year’s RYLA Winners are: Daniela Santibanez, Sydney Metcalf, Jackson Geddings & Eric Harrelson.
Congratulations students! The Rotary Club of Tryon is proud of what you have done to receive this award. We are also glad to be a small part of your development into community leaders. When you return from Camp, please share your experiences with the Club.
RYLA’s intent is to encourage students to be more effective leaders. RYLA is not a camp intended to teach leadership skills (it is assumed that the students in attendance already possess those skills), however the following topics naturally arise in the course of RYLA activities and discussions:
- Fundamentals of leadership
- Ethics of positive leadership
- Qualities of a “servant leader”
- Importance of communication skills in effective leadership
- Conflict management and problem solving
- Building self-esteem and self confidence
- Elements of community and global citizenship
- Rotary’s purpose of service to the community and world