A wheel has been the symbol of Rotary since the earliest days. The first design was a simple wagon wheel to illustrate civilization and movement. Most of the early clubs had some form of wagon wheel in their publications.
In 1922 Rotary clubs adopted a single design. The wheel was changed to a gear wheel with twenty four cogs and six spokes; this design was adopted by Rotary International Association in 1923.
A group of engineers advised that the geared wheel was mechanically unsound and would not work without a ?keyway? in the center of the gear to attach it to a power shaft. In that same year, the keyway was added and the design which we now know was formally adopted as the official Rotary International emblem.